Anyone tried MadeSolid resin Vorex

I ordered the Vorex. I’ll update you how it goes.

What about molding the original print in RTV and using casting resin. That’s pretty durable. I know it’s extra steps but might get you to the finished piece a lot quicker. Also, once you’ve made the mold you can cast as many as you want which is faster and cheaper than printing.

My printer is on order, hopefully here the end of the week. I manufacture model detail parts and will the use the Form 1+ just to make masters for RTV molds.

Monger if you mixed them like this would you still run it under the black resin settings? I know that each resin has a different “power level” to run at not sure what the flex needs but I didnt know if you have tried this yet personally or if it was a trial and error suggestion? i was thinking of running clear and flex with that ratio just need open time in the printer to run it :stuck_out_tongue:

Walter,
If Joshua were to use your method, based on his requirements, what material would you use for the casting?

Thanks

I use Smooth-On Smooth-Cast 305. Not too many people like this as it’s a slow cure resin taking an hour to demold time. I load up a number of molds at one time and have a rack to place in a pressure pot. One of their faster resins would work just as well.

@Joshua_Herskovic, I see you ordered the Vortex resin. I discovered a resin that claims to actually be ABS based, which is of course a very popular and versatile plastic in the real world already. It could be just what you need for that tab to make it like a real part.

Thomas,

I haven’t tried this mix, however I don’t see why it shouldn’t work. If I had flexible resin, I would test it out, but I haven’t had a need for that resin yet.

If you do try it, make sure you mix the resins well and try the black resin setting first. If you do not get enough curing, I believe the Castable setting may offer a little more curing power.

With a little trial and error you should be able to get the result you need.

it seems that the 3DM ABS has similar qualities, the same translucent orange color, and similar price point of $135 as the Vorex. I wonder if its the same thing but rebranded? The Titan DLP printer has it listed for sale on there site.

I see that your site makes investment castings for metals. Can an investment casting also be done using ABS instead of metal for the final product? Is that cost prohibitive process? It seems the RTV molding method would be difficult to deal with hollow structures.

I don’t know if that’s possible. Wouldn’t that fall under injection molding instead?

Also, investment casting makes it no easier to deal with hollow structures. Close to impossible in fact.

I had never heard of 3D Materials. I emailed them for info and a sample :smiley:

I ordered OMaker resin to try out, will report. I also just finished my first print with makerjuice, and I have to say, I’m impressed. I’ve only printed with formlabs clearv2 until now, and this looks way cleaner. Maybe it’s a property of pigmented vs. clear resin? I’ll have to order some pigmented formlabs stuff.

2 Likes

By the way, their shipping charge, what the actual f?! I’m chewing it because I’m curious, but whoa.

Going to attempt this mix this afternoon of 90% clear 10% flex going to run this at as a clear V2 laser setting hopefully it works :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to chime in on this thread, I contacted the distributor for the 3D Materials ABS (?) resin and they said it wasn’t compatible with the Form 1+. It needs a teflon-lined tank, apparently.

Oh well that is bad news… ha! I should have asked.

Well my initial test was a success adding 10% flex has made the part feel more ABS like I am working on getting some quantifiable numbers though our lab but till then I can at least confirm that it has worked for a clip that we mold in house.

Flexible requires way more laser power than any other FormLabs resin, even more than castable. I’m wondering if your part is fully cured. Which setting did you use?

Clear V2 i really had to mix the two well and that was a worry that I had about the power requirement of the flex but it sees like dimensionally it is similar to the older versions of this file that I did in just clear. I also did expose this to my post curing station for about double my usual time. (6 hrs) and it has still retained its flexibility. When my lab does the break testing I will check the cross section to see if the part fully cured.

You can buy sheets of PTFE film, RS sell it in the UK. Maybe you can just lay it on top of the silicone, might require some trials as to how you stick or clamp it down against the peel force though.

Andrew