3rd Party Resin from ApplyLabWork

about a year ago, I bought a bottle of flexible so I could print some tires for a fiend’s MiniZ RC cars. I honestly don’t remember what I did at the time, I’m sure I followed whatever instructions there were available.

The only thing I do remember is the smell, and that I got a headache from being in the same room with the printer while it was doing that print. I haven’t used that resin since, and I’m sure it’s expired by now.

This time around I printed a phone case, which in hind sight should have been printed in regular resin. This resin from ALW is very soft, and this open front case is not the right design for it, as it’s not stiff enough to “hug” the phone. I will print a few other thing, but right now I don’t have anything in the pipeline.

So far, after the print, I dunked the model into the IPA for 5-6 minutes, then left it for about 10 hours to air dry. Last night after all the drying time, the model was still sticky and soft enough to roll up, so I washed it in IPA for about 1 minute, which made it a bit less sticky, but not entirely so.

I then put it into my UV chamber for 4 hours, while checking on it every 1/2 hour or so, and it didn’t really change in terms of stiffness. Today, I’ll take it and put it out in sunlight, so I’ll see if the properties change at all.

So in terms of soaking it in water to prevent further curing, I’m not there yet. Maybe I’m doing this all wrong, but so far, this stuff is still soft like a noodle., which is also a byproduct of the model design which large flat thin surface.

BTW, the rough edge facing the camera, was the bottom edge of the model. Printing the model on that edge, rotated 45° on the Z axis was the only way I could fit it on my build platform. Angling it at a 15°/20° off the vertical, produced supports that were more than 3 times the volume of the actual model. The model by itself is a bit over 18ml. With the supports it would have been 78ml. So I opted for a layout where it was standing on it’s side so the overall volume including supports was about 38ml.