3D Model Sharing: We want your feedback

The forum is a place for our users to share ideas and collaborate, and we want to continue fostering creativity. We are always looking to expand the capabilities of our products, and this discussion platform is no exception. We have thought about the idea of implementing a dedicated category to share, browse, and download 3D models directly through these forums, but we want your feedback!

• Are you interested in seeing this feature?
  • What functionality would you like included?

To get started, we have provided some chess set models designed by Formlabs own @Brian_Allan. These are simply .form files hosted for download, and we’ll continue building the file sharing option with your feedback. Let us know your thoughts!

Charles the Dog

King

Queen

2 Likes

As long as you don’t make the shared files be ‘.form’ type files, it sounds like a great idea. Either use a common interchange format or don’t do it at all. Creating a ‘.form’ only kind of sharing space would not be a good thing for many, many reasons.

2 Likes

Only allowing certain file types could be too restrictive to our users. Thanks for the feedback @ChristopherBarr, we will keep that in mind.

1 Like

What I meant to convey was that whatever files get shared, they should also be able to be modified in other 3D creation software, not just be printed from Preform. My fear was that a proprietary format, print only library was going to be created. So yes, multiple file types / interchange formats should definitely be allowed.

Hello Garret,
I like that idea. And I like the idea to share only the .form file. Your forum shouldn’t be something like others 3D sharing sevices for 3D files, but just focused and dedicated to print them with FormLabs machines. Sharing the native PreForm file, will allow the users to print it in diferent scales and orientations, but will “protect” the file from editing.

I think that a Sharing category will be great.
Mattia

I like the Idea very much. We are all experimenting with differing views. Sharing these views would help us all. As for the file format, I don’t really have a preference and if someone wants to retain the rights to the design .form will work great. If someone wants to share a workable file it too should be allowed as I have shared files with others on the forum to help them out. A jewelers section would be great too.
Dave

I agree it must be in a common file type that could be edited.

If Preform was an editor this idea would work better. But Preform does not edit, so STL are the best format. But if you are just sharing STL, why not use Thingiverse? It’s still a nice idea, but might be hard to get traction.

1 Like

That’s one idea we had, allowing our users to collaborate and use files that work great with Formlabs printers. There are drawbacks and benefits to limiting the files to .form vs. allowing multiple file types. Some users may prefer to download a .form file and print, others may want to edit the file with their favorite CAD software.

Go for it. It seems like a low risk endeavor.

I can see it both ways here. The nice thing about form files is that there is a better chance that the part has actually been printed. For advanced users an STL or native CAD file is preferred.

Why not mix these and require a form file and make the STL/CAD file optional? Then add a check box to the search so people can select the file types they want.

3 Likes

I like the idea. I special like the chess models. Please complete the chess game :wink:

1 Like

I like the idea, stl or .form

The idea of sharing the .form file because it lets us look at orientation and settings as well so folks can see what works and what doesn’t.

1 Like

I like the idea of both form file and STL.

The reason that this makes sense as an alternative to Thingiverse is that Thingiverse is a community primarily for people with FDM printers, and there’s a value in having a community for people with SLA printers as the “design for printability” issues are very different between the two.

It’s also great for new owners of FormLabs printers to have a place to go for a selection of “ready to print” designs for their new printer. This doesn’t need to be thousands of designs, but a collection of validated designs to get started.

1 Like

Having a repository for files that are helpful for FormLabs printer users would be helpful.
The idea of having .form and .stl file types available benefits users as well for several reasons already mentioned.
There could be some benefit to organizing the repository into areas. These could be for testing, trouble shooting, tools, etc.
The idea of “anyone” uploading files to such a repository should probably be thought about for a while. This has the potential to create problems.
I am not sure if it should be open to any one outside of registered FormLabs printer users. It seems like there could be a lot of chatter and imaginary problems that would distract from solving FormLabs user’s real problems. I say this because it has happened on other product forums.
Maybe having a process in place where either the registered users have a vote to accept or deny availability of uploaded parts, or some one at FormLabs filtering out content that does not follow guidelines would be helpful? I think there should be some discussion within that repository for registered users to suggest improvements to submitted parts, or to constructively explain why a part is inappropriate for the repository.

I agree that .form files are very useful, especially if someone had already spent the time to make custom manual adjustments to the supports and orientations. But we also will need the original stl files to make changes to the model.

It would be cool if there was integration to thingiverse. To have posts in our forum that can point to the source of the model in thingiverse would be nice. It would give credit back to the source if that was the source. Thingiverse posts can point to our forum posts as well.

Cheers
Dave

On the topic of model sharing, here is a link to a new website offering high resolution 3D scans for free without copyright restrictions:

www.threedscans.com

We hope someone in the formlabs community will find use in them.

In case you haven’t heard the news, Formlabs has acquired Pinshape, one of the fastest growing online 3D printing communities! You can learn more about the acquisition here.

Great move on a 3D model site. My only thought is to make SLA- or Form 2-printable models easily identifiable.